Sunday, March 17, 2013

Day 9


This trip has honestly been unreal. I have been here for 9 days now, and I can firmly say that it has been some of the best days of my life. I have built new relationships with people on this team, and especially with the Haitian community in several different villages and on the compound. 

Our team's focus village was Minoterie. There are some things I have seen and heard in this village that have just shaken me and showed me that I'm living a very selfish life back home, and it's something that needs to change. There are children that have almost nothing, and some of them don't even have parents, but yet they have the biggest smiles on their faces that reflect happiness and thankfulness towards us for giving our time to play with them, hold them, hug them and be there for them. There is something about holding a little girl or boy's hand here in Haiti compared to back home. it's something that I can't explain, but it melts my heart and it makes me feel like I need to do something more. It breaks my heart to hear all the sad stories in people's lives as we go around to different houses in Minoterie and pray for them and their families. 

I made one really good buddy in Minoterie. His name is Shnider, and he is 11 years old. Every time we drive into the village and he sees me hop off the bus, he has the biggest smile, and instantly grabs my hand and wraps his other arm around my arm. Meeting him is something that I'll never forget. A little child has taught me so many valuable lessons that books and teachers couldn't teach me. 

There is only one full day left, and it honestly saddens me. I feel like I'm not suppose to be leaving yet and that God is telling me that there is more for me to be doing here. I know that God has a plan for me and His people, and I'm excited to continually see some of the parts of His plan. I've come way closer to Him throughout this trip. This is a trip that I'll never forget, and I can't wait to tell you all my amazing experiences with you when I get home. 

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers 

Kendra Slagter

No comments:

Post a Comment